Sunday, December 10, 2006

Fischer's Surgery

I haven't been blogging lately because Fischer had to have surgery on Thursday. It was a pretty traumatic experience for all of us, but he has recovered really well. I had to stop feeding him at 2:30AM on Wednesday night...even breast milk. Then we went to the hospital about 6:15AM and prepared him for surgery. We had to put his "surgery" pajamas on! I about lost it then. We then had to wait until his doctor came and talked to us. They gave me a bunch of papers to sign...some of them were pretty scary...telling a person all the things that could possibly go wrong. Then Chris and I walked him back to "the red line." I didn't want to give him up...he was still awake. I felt like a mama bear with her baby cub, but all of the nurses were really kind and supportive.
Chris and I silently walked back to the waiting room and then WAITED. I cried some in the waiting room and finally found a Better Homes and Gardens magazine to leaf through. The waiting was the hardest part. Luckily, the nurses came and filled us in every once in awhile. When we finally were able to see him...he looked so vulnerable. He had a little tan hat on his head and was so pale. The nurses told me that they have to wrap both of their legs with gauze and their arms to keep them warm during surgery...so they look like little mummies.
I was able to FINALLY hold him. He kept making little noises in his sleep.. the drugs kept him asleep for awhile. But Fischer wanted to eat right when he woke up. So that made me feel better!!!
We stayed at the hospital until about 5PM and then were able to come home. It was so nice to just come home and sleep in our own bed.
He is now doing great and we are so thankful that it went so well!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What?!?! Surgery! For what!?!? Poor little guy! Take extra special care of him! Glad to hear he went through it well, though! Hope he's better every day!

Amy said...

Don't envy any of you that experience. Glad he's okay.

Anonymous said...

surgery on what?? when we lived on cape cod stephanie had surgery at Childrens Hospital in Boston so I can relate to your anxiuosness. Take care now.

Anonymous said...

What did Fischer have to have surgery for? Glad all went well.

Kate said...

Fischer had a hernia and his little testes didn't drop. It is especially common in preemies. But now he is doing great and you can't even tell he had surgery!