Monday, March 22, 2010

A Mtn Lion & A False Alarm

Yesterday started out like any Sunday morning. We dressed the boys for meeting, and I took some pictures of the boys in their Sunday clothes.





After lunch at G'pa and G'ma's house, we headed home to take a nap. Our dog Dot met us halfway up the road, and then followed us home. When we pulled up to the driveway Chris said "there is a mtn lion on the deck!" I looked at him like he was crazy. I thought it was such a random thing to say, but then I saw it. When we pulled up it started batting at my sliding glass door screen, and then jumped up and ripped my screen off of the window above our red couch in the livingroom. Chris thought it must have thought that my windows were a way out. I was worried the cat might go through one of my windows. Can you imagine the mess then?
Chris then parked the car behind the horsetrailer to make the cat feel less trapped. The cat then hopped onto the ledge of my front windows facing the mtn, and finally jumped off of the side of the deck. I am not sure how the mtn lion had cut itself, but there was blood on my windows and screens.
I never imagined that in my last weeks of pregnancy one of things I would have to do is wash mtn lion prints and blood off of my outside windows and screens.
I think all of the excitement might have caused me to start having contractions. We had to take the boys up to G'pa and G'ma's house at 10:30PM, and head to the hospital about an hour and a half away. We had to stay over night, and my contractions stopped with the help of some medication. It is best for baby if I can wait until my scheduled c-section. So now we are home, and resting up from all the excitement yesterday!
This is the side of the deck that the mtn lion leaped over to head for some near by trees.









10 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my goodness!!! I'm glad that no one was outside playing at the time. I wonder what made him come up to the house? It seems kind of odd that he'd go right to the deck and paw at the window. Unless it was because of his dear, old friend inside??? heeheehee :)

The J's said...

oh! a bit of too much excitement I'd say for sure!

Mo said...

That is a LOT of excitement in one day!! Wowzers! I felt the same way Jen did -- glad the boys weren't outside playing. Take care and rest up! We're all anxious for little #3 to arrive! :) Hugs, Mo

Anonymous said...

That certainly was more excitement than you needed, Kate. You take care!! Linda

Michelle said...

I was just wondering yesterday how your days are going as you get ready for #3 to arrive - but I was picturing quiet, calm days at home nesting or something - you've been having wilder days than that! Whew! :) Were they able to find the lion? I would be a nervous wreck if there was a lion that close to my house! Well, I hope you won't have any more adventures while you're waiting "to go get your baby" as my girls would say. :)
Love, Michelle

candy said...

wow! that's all I can say!
I had no idea you'd just been through so much. That will be a story for the baby book.
Now, Kate. What can be done? I know you are good with a gun :). What are the laws on shooting a mtn lion that is at your front door? (sorry, Wendy...to sound so cold-hearted)

Kate said...

Actually Chris ended up shooting it, and then reported it to the Game Warden. The Game Warden was here until 9PM, and then we headed to the hospital at 10:30PM. :) He was really understanding, and said that it was strange behavior for a mtn lion to be hanging out around our house. I am really glad Chris shot it, and with my .22 rifle too.

Lisa McConnell said...

Yeah...that would be a lot of excitement! Glad Chris got it! Will be waiting to hear your news! Hope it all goes well!

Heather S said...

wow.. lots of excitment! scary about that cat. we've had a cat stalking around our woods a few years ago while we were building (they still are nearby). (it's lucky he never made an actual appereance.. :) i guess we are lucky to with 4 lil ones playing outside!

Jeanette said...

That is quite a bit of excitement!