Friday, November 13, 2009

Winter Wonderland & Comfort Food

I'm suppose to have a Stampin Up Party tomorrow. Hmmmm? I'm hoping at least the people from nearby can come. It sure is pretty outside right now. I might even unthaw my other macaroni and cheese pan today. It seems like a perfect day for hot chocolate & yummy comfort food!


As I look out my sliding glass doors, I can see our electric fence doing a little jig because of the weight of the snow. I can't believe that it is not windy! It feels like Steamboat...with all of this puffy snow on everything.







Berry Coffee Cake by Alison From This Front Porch




You can find her blog listed in my blogroll!

So easy and soooo good.
We enjoyed this coffee cake after meeting on Wednesday night & for breakfast on Thursday. Everyone loved it.











Macaroni and Cheese by Tracey Allbright


2 1/2 cups macaroni noodles (I've used big and small macaroni noodles.)
4 T of butter
4 T of flour
2 cups of milk (we use non-fat)
1 t salt
1 t sugar
1/2 pound processed cheese (velveeta) cubed
2/3 cup sour cream (light or fat free is fine)
1 1/3 cup cottage cheese (light or fat free is fine)
2 cups sharp chedder grated
1 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
2 tsp butter
paprika sprinkles

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cook and drain macaroni and place in a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.

3. Melt butter over heat in medium saucepan; stir in flour and mix well. Add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it thickens. This part takes some time-so be ready to stand at the stove for awhile-it is well worth the effort! Add salt, sugar, and processed cheese; mix well


4. Mix sour cream and cottage cheese into sauce and pour over macaroni; mix well.


5. Sprinkle grated cheese and bread crumbs over top. (Makes it extra special with the bread crumbs.) Dot with butter and sprinkle with paprika. May be frozen at this point.


6. Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 45-50 minutes. Serves 6. Makes great left overs!

I actually doubled the recipe, and made two pans of macaroni so I could freeze one pan. It is so nice. I just think if I am going to make the mess I might as well double it so we can enjoy it some other time! You know for that night when you don't feel like making a huge mess and cooking.

3 comments:

Lisa McConnell said...

That does look like Steamboat!!! Just wish that we were sitting there at some resort drinking hot chocolate!!! Or swimming in the Hot Springs!

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, look at your snow. Definitely a comfort food day. I want to try that coffee cake sometime soon, too. Glad to see it comes well recommended by several. :)

Hope your party happens!

Carin said...

Can I just come over to your house to eat and enjoy the beautiful snow, Do you have a fire I can sit in front of too? The boys can all play together!!