Thursday, January 31, 2008

Stuck in the snow again...

This is what it looked like Monday morning after I got the boys out of the bath. Chris called me then to say he couldn't see anything, and would just have to wait it out in the tractor. Chris told me later that when the storm finally broke he was hundreds of yards away from where he thought he was...




A picture a couple of hours later on Monday morning...
It is crazy because there is blue sky, but just a terrible ground blizzard. We only have had snow on Monday (January 28) and Wednesday (January 30), but the wind just keeps blowing.
And when the wind blows it means terrible ground blizzards and huge drifts!




This is a picture of our big window looking out of the house on Monday evening.
The snow swirled so much that it covered all of our windows!




It was such a brutal storm on Monday, that we had snow come in the some the corners of the house.
Luckily, the house is pretty tight so the guys were able to contain the few spots that did let snow in with insulation.




Chris filling the corner with insulation...




Chris's tractor was stuck Saturday (January 26) because the wind blew so hard Friday evening that the drifts were impassable for the tractor. Luckily, the old cat fired up and they were able to pull the tractor out. Chris has had to use the cat every day since Saturday. They would have been unable to feed the cows without it! Gerry got stuck Monday and had to walk home. Then Chris and Clayton went and pulled him out Monday afternoon.















This was the scene outside of our house on Monday (January 28) evening! The wind started blowing on Friday (January 25) and has not stopped since, except for a short lull on Sunday afternoon. That was the last time I was able to leave my house until today! And even then, we had to walk out to the county road because the road to our house is impassable.


My best friend Jen called me during this terrible storm to inform me that she was stuck at Walcott with about 30 other cars waiting for the county to open the highway. You can imagine I was very scared and worried. She was able to make it home, but it took her six and a half hours to make it home. It usually takes her about an hour and a half!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate!!!!! You poor people!!!! That is AWFUL weather (and drifts!)!!! But, PLEASE, stay inside! Don't go out if you don't have to! It would make me WORRY if you went out! :)

Oh, and your video of the wind out the door...I laughed when the video included you slamming the door shut at the end. :o)

Thanks for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't believe I would be hiking that Overland trail, or even try to make it to haystack butte, for that matter...just stay inside where it's safe and warm...and wait it out...today is groundhogs day...did he see his shadow? Love, MOM xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Haha! Terry~It made me laugh when I read ur comment about hiking to haystack butte...Kate and I definately would have a hard time trying to find you if you went out in that! Altho...you might not be quite as sunburned afterwards ;)
~Mindi

Anonymous said...

I am NEVER going outside without sunscreen again!!! I think this old lady needs to keep her walking adventures to just walking with the grandkids from now on!!HeeHee
Gma Terry